SSI recipients can now apply for food benefits

If you get Supplemental Security Income (SSI), you could get up to $234 every month in food assistance.

Will my SSI payments change?

No, there will be no change in payments from the Social Security Administration.

How much will I get?

A county worker will determine your exact benefit amount by looking at your income and comparing it to your expenses. The more you can prove in expenses, like rent or medical expenses, the higher your benefit amount will be.

What if I live with other people already on CalFresh?

If you live and buy food with people who already get CalFresh, you can be added to the CalFresh household at the next reporting date. If you want to be added sooner, contact your county in June. Learn more about adding SSI recipients to CalFresh households.

How can I help someone else apply?

You can use to help someone else apply, just answer the questions as if you were them. Helpers can also be given special permissions. If you are a community assister and plan to enroll multiple people as part of your job, learn about GetCalFresh for CBOs.

Where can I get a paper application?

Contact your county office through the CalFresh food information line at 1-877-847-3663 (FOOD) to find out how to apply on paper. The form is available here.

Where can I apply in person?

You can find your county office by entering your ZIP code at the CalFresh Food Office Locator Website. You can also call the CalFresh food information line: 1-877-847-3663 (FOOD).

In addition to SSI, I also get social security retirement benefits or SSDI (Social Security Disability), can I still apply?

Yes, if you get any amount of SSI you can now apply for CalFresh food benefits, even if you get other income from the Social Security Administration.

GetCalFresh is an official CalFresh application assister for SSI recipients in California.